Hosted PBX Testing
Before we’ll sell you a single Hosted PBX line, we will ask you to take a free voice quality test. If you’re talking to other providers, you’ll note that our test is more comprehensive and longer-lasting than the rest.
That’s deliberate. In order to help assure the best experience for people calling on your network, we’re going to put it through a stringent testing process. This is how we help ensure excellent calling quality even when your network is congested from file downloads or video streaming.
What is voice quality testing?
Voice quality test helps make sure that your network can support the additional load caused by VoIP phone traffic.
In the testing process, we’ll drive rigorous voice and data traffic to your network to simulate real life loads.
To perform the test, we will do the following:
- Set up a phone simulation software on your network
- Tune the software to the number of phones you are looking to buy
- Run the simulation as if all phones are being used for three full days, in parallel with your regular network tasks
- Capture all network traffic information and analyze it
More rigorous testing than most other providers
We hold ourselves to an extremely high standard. One of the key differences in how we test is that we’ll perform our simulation over three full days. This is important, because the traffic on your network often varies depending on the time of day and even the day of the week.
For example, think about when you perform system backups or transfer big files to your customers. These tasks create congestion in your network that could impact voice calling quality. And a short test will not detect them.
What we’re testing for
Our engineers analyze the stream of data packets (those bits of digitized information that flow through the network) along the following criteria:
- Bandwidth. We’ll verify that your actual bandwidth is sufficient for both data and voice traffic.
- Packet loss. If packets are dropped on their way to their destination because of network congestion, there will be interruptions to your conversation. We need to spot it ahead of time.
- Latency. This is when packets take too long to get to the other side, which causes delays in the conversation. Any delay over 60 milliseconds is noticeable and disruptive.
- Jitter. Jitter is when data packets arrive in different order or at a different pace from when they were sent. If not corrected, jitter causes a noticeable drop in the quality of the phone call.
- Complete connectivity disruption. A complete disruption of the network connection will naturally cause calling problems.
What if we find problems?
In more than 90% of the tests we perform, we find no issues.
But when we do find problems, we do two things: first, we recommend that you hold off on your buying decision until you adjust your network environment. And second, we formulate a plan to fix the issues.
In some cases, this is as simple as adjusting your back-up schedule. In other cases, we need to work with your Internet provider, look at the firewall/router, LAN segmentation, and other I.T. infrastrucure items. As I.T. infrastrucure experts, L4 Networks is well poised to engineer a solution and fix that provides you the highest quality of hosted PBX serviceL4 Networks' Hosted PBX is part of the Office in the Cloud suite and is offered in partnership with Intermedia. Learn more